Ten commandments for Caleists
This text was posted by Bjorn Waller <email@example.com > on the Velvet Underground list, february 8, 2002:
According to what I was told at a secret meeting of Caleists1) (which I
managed to bluff my way into by claiming that Loop was much better than
Heroin) the ten commandments of the Caleists are:
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, unless wearing short sleeves.
- Thou shalt read and destroy everything that you read in books.
- Thou shalt not go gently into that good night.
- Thou shalt bite the heads off chickens whenever inappropriate.
- Thou shalt not commit hanky panky nohow.
- Thou shalt scream at a potted plant until it dies.
- Thou shalt not release the Gymnasium tapes 2). No way. Uh-uh. Never.
- Thou shalt impersonate flight surgeons.
- Thou shalt not mine coal.
- Thou shalt have the style it takes.
A Caleist is a person who thinks highly of the Welsh musical genius. When you twist his arm, he will claim that Cale was the cool guy in The Velvet Underground, is the superior musician and has better looks. It's Caleist, not Caleite. The Mother Superior of all Caleists, Texas Blonde Margaret Moser, says so. (HW)
- The Gymnasium Tapes are the complete performances by the Velvet
Underground at a club called The Gymnasium in NYC in April 1967. They
are, I think, the only known live document of the VU in 1967. Two of the
tracks are on the Peel Slowly And See box. Cale has the rest and
refuses to release them. (BW)
Was that funny? Maybe then you will enjoy: